Monday, December 1, 2008

Time with Family


Hola Vegola,

How was your holiday weekend? Ours was down right wonderful(ish).

Brian's family came for a visit and I cooked the meal. At first I was wicked stressed. After all, it was the first holiday that we have hosted and it's been a long time since I've used the stove. I wanted my in-laws to LOVE the food and the festivities. I imagined a table full of happy healthy people chomping on boneless cuisine while mantra-ing "wow, that Kris is really something". But can you say salad? These days I'm only great at salad! Yet there I was making a traditional T day dinner with all the accouterments - vegan style? OIY!

Half way through the cooking process I started to melt down. "Holy SHIT, I have so much left to do and the clock is ticking!" I wanted wine, I wanted a dinner reservation, I wanted my mom! Unfortunately, my folks were out in Cali visiting my sister so I was on my own (well B-man helped too).



In the end it all worked out. Sorta. The dinner sucked but hey, it was my first time. OK, "sucked" might be too harsh. DRY. Now that's more like it. DRY AS A DESERT. Clearly I need more experience before writing a cookbook! Good Lord. What's a raw, 80/20 girl to do? Get over herself perhaps. Thanksgiving is about being grateful, it's about spending time with the ones you love and most important, clocking some serious time watching your flat screen! And that's exactly what we did, along with a few hikes, hugs and some noodling around town.


Check out Lola and her new pal Rocket (our doggie nephew) oh, and my sock.


Hope you had a lovely weekend! Can you believe it's December 1st already??!?!?

Peace & dry chestnut roast,
Kris



PS. I invited everybody back next year. I'm determined to blow their minds with vegan food and I have one year to get it together. :)

blog comments powered by Disqus